Windows Live Mail is free email software. Its functions are quite similar to those of MS Outlook in some ways. One of the main advantages of Windows Live Mail is that it allows users to use several email accounts. WLM stores all messages in the EML file format. Meanwhile, those who decided to migrate to Microsoft Outlook encounter the problem of format collision, which is impossible to resolve without third-party software. In this article, we will clarify some important details of the file migration between these mailing clients.
Reasons for Migration from WLM to Outlook
- Windows Live Mail offers only email and calendar functions, while Outlook provides much more advanced functionality;
- Outlook is equipped with the latest technology; it can be programmed with VBA code. Also, WLM does not have a programming interface;
- Outlook allows you to work with Microsoft Exchange, which Windows Live Mail doesn’t have;
- Windows Live Mail is an outdated email client with no updates, while Outlook is the current email client with the best functionality.
WLM to Outlook Email Transfers
Microsoft provides the manual method to import emails between its programs. It is possible to either use the manual solution or try the professional method and migrate emails, contacts, and calendars from the WLM mailbox without any problem. For example, you can learn how to import EML files into Outlook on https://www.outlookimport.com/import-eml-to-outlook/. The advantages of such tools are the following:
- Instant conversion of WLM email messages;
- Simple and interactive software interface;
- Conversion of multiple WLM emails in batch;
- PST file is compatible with all the recent editions of the program;
- Possibility to get a separate PST file per user;
- It converts files without installing Outlook;
Usually, such software doesn’t cause any problems with various versions of the OS Windows. Now, let’s consider the manual method of data transfer.
- Open both mailing clients on your PC;
- On Live Mail, click File >> Export >>Email Messages;
- Activate the MS Exchange and press Next;
- The “Export Message” dialog box opens >> click OK to confirm;
- Select the files or folders needed to export the data;
- To complete the migration, press the “Finish” button.
As soon as the migration is complete, customers may view the familiar files on Microsoft Outlook. To do this, they have to use the “Import and Export Wizard.”
However, this method has its limitations, including the inability to transfer huge EML files and data loss risks, while the process itself is quite time-consuming for users who do not have good technical skills.
So, we have provided you with two available options to migrate from WLM to Outlook. Choose the one which is suitable for you and share the results with us in the comments.