If you’re here, you already know the wonders that collagen can work on your body. All anti-aging products contain a healthy dose of collagen and for one good reason – collagen keeps your skin looking young.
Collagen, a protein, is the major component of connective tissues. It has many important functions, including strengthening your bones and giving your skin structure.
This is what has made collagen supplements all the rage. All good skincare products include Vitamin E, Vitamin C, and collagen.
But can’t you just get collagen from your food? Why would you need a supplement at all?
The supplements are hydrolyzed, which means the collagen has been broken down, and it is easier for your body to absorb it. Also, the best sources of collagen are pork skin and bone broth. If you are a vegetarian or a vegan, it would be next to impossible to get it from your diet.
Here are the top 5 benefits of taking collagen supplements –
- Improves skin health – This is the most obvious reason, but let’s quickly jump into why collagen is good for your skin. Collagen is what makes up your skin. It strengthens skin and benefits elasticity and hydration. As one ages, the body produces less collagen than before causing fine lines and saggy skin. Several studies show that collagen supplements can slow down aging and reduce wrinkles and dryness.
- Relieves pain in the joints – Collagen helps to maintain the integrity of the cartilage. Since the amount of collagen drops as you get older, people can develop degenerative joint disorders and collagen supplements can help reduce the joint pain overall. Studies have shown that collagen reduces inflammation, offers better support to the joints, and reduces pain.
- Prevent bone loss – Not only does collagen help with joint pain, but it also helps maintain bone density as you get older. This also prevents bones from getting brittle and decreasing the chance of a fracture.
- Boost muscle mass – Just like cartilage and bones, muscles also contain collagen. With age, people may experience sarcopenia; the loss of muscle mass and collagen supplements can help prevent that.
- Promotes heart health – Research points to increased heart health due to collagen supplements. Collagen provides structure to arteries without which arteries may not be strong enough to carry blood from your heart to the body.
There are other health benefits of taking collagen supplements. Your hair and nails will get shinier and stronger. It can also stimulate your hair follicles and promote hair growth. The same is applicable to your nails. There is little scientific evidence for this, but some believe that collagen can even help with the leaky gut syndrome. Some even claim that collagen can boost your brain health.
As mentioned earlier, you could potentially get enough collagen from your food as a meat-eater. But for vegetarians and vegans as well as elderly people, taking a collagen supplement is the best way to guarantee overall well-being.