Pain management experts treat a range of conditions. It can be selective nerve blocks, treating pain from a pinched nerve, post-herpetic neuralgia, disc herniation, spinal stenosis, vertebral compression fractures, etc. Patients with spinal fracture, bone stabilization, or loss of complete vertebral body weight!
Visit pain management, Columbia MD to know more in detail.
There are certain expectations of patients when they visit these clinics. Few of which have been discussed below.
- Epidural injections – Often, pain related to a pinched nerve, vertebral compression fractures, post-laminectomy syndrome, etc are treated by using epidural injections. Considered to be one of the most effective, these are injected in targeted epidural points using the help of x-rays.
Besides, a contrast component is also injected for ensuring the medication pushed first is properly working. After that, steroids are injected which will decrease the nerve pain. There are certain side effects such as headache, redness in that area, fever, cataracts, etc. Nevertheless, the relief from the pain is worth a shot.
- Kyphoplasty – Kyphoplasty is when a small incision is performed on the back. The doctor pushes in a narrow tube through and using fluoroscopy, the tube is placed at the right space. Then through the back, the fractured area is reached.
The cavity of the vertebra where the patient suffers from the pain is filled with polymethylmethacrylate. It solidifies and the bone is slowly stabled. This procedure is also not without a few side effects such as – body pain due to the incision, bleeding, allergy, etc.
- Osteoarthritis – This is mainly a degenerative disease that causes joint pain. It generally causes pain in the knees, back, and hips. Generally, it is treated through weight loss programs, exercise, and interventional techniques.
People who suffer from extreme joint pain and restricted lifestyle as a result of it get vastly benefitted from the treatments. Treating procedures include injections in facet joints, injecting steroids, medications, Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, etc.
- Facet syndrome – This syndrome causes pain in the facet joints. Due to the pain, movement of facet joints becomes restricted and it causes unbearable pain. For pain relief, doctors often suggest anti-inflammatory medicines. Besides, the treatment also includes physiotherapy, reduced use of facet joints, etc.
It helps in making the spine stable, thereby reducing the movement and lessening the pain. However, restricting movement to almost zero for a long period might have an adverse effect and induce pain.
For instance, if you are sitting still in one position and reading a book. Thus, doctors advise slight movement at intervals, say, every twenty minutes or half an hour.
- Knee pain – This is one of the most common degenerative diseases. It causes pain in the knees, back, and hips. Generally, treatments include weight loss programs, exercise, and interventional techniques.
Doctors also prescribe medications, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, facet joint and steroidal injections, etc. This helps with the pain and helps the patient to live a normal life.
These are a few of the excellent treatment procedures performed by expert and experienced physicians over the years in Columbia.