The refrigerator is one of the main household appliances, without which no self-respecting homemaker can do for a long time. Its breakdown causes a real shock and significant inconvenience for the whole family. Fortunately, any damage can be fixed by calling fridge repair service in Brampton.
Many problems can be corrected by yourself. There is no need for special hard-to-pronounce measuring instruments to diagnose a breakdown. In most cases, it is enough to have a multimeter at hand. In our article, we will consider the main malfunctions of refrigerators; how to identify and eliminate them. In what cases is it possible to repair the refrigerator with your own hands at home, and when can you not do without the qualified help of a Kitchenaid refrigerator repair technician in Toronto?
The main signs that the refrigerator is faulty and requires professional intervention include the following:
- there is no lighting inside the refrigerating chamber;
- weak or excessively strong cooling of refrigerating compartments;
- increased noise (hum, knock, vibration);
- no cooling when the compressor is running (not running);
- the icing on the walls of the freezer;
- the appearance of water on the lowest shelf of the refrigerator;
- The refrigerator does not turn on or turn off almost immediately after starting.
The refrigerator does not freeze well or does not freeze at all
Possible causes of a refrigerator malfunction, which freezes weakly:
- Failure of the temperature controller. The thermostat must be replaced or adjusted at the service center.
- Depressurization of the refrigerating chamber. It can occur due to a loose fit of the seal to the door or a violation of the position of the refrigerator door (the position of the door hinges needs to be adjusted).
- Loss of compressor performance (diagnosis and repair of such a malfunction of refrigerators are carried out in a service center).
Possible malfunctions of the refrigerator, which does not freeze at all:
- Freon leak. During operation, the compressor usually heats up to 55°C. If the compressor overheats during long-term operation, this indicates a depressurization of the system or damage to the line, evaporator, or condenser. A qualified master eliminates the malfunction.
- Breakdown of the thermostat. The part must be replaced or adjusted at the service center.
- A drop in compressor performance (diagnostics and troubleshooting are performed by a master in a service center).
Need to know! There are cases when the refrigerator starts to freeze heavily. The reason may be that the thermostat is set to maximum. To fix the problem, you need to set the thermostat to a less intense cooling mode.
Refrigerator won’t turn on
Possible causes of a refrigerator malfunction that does not turn on:
- Insufficient or excessive voltage in the mains. If old refrigerators are not so sensitive to voltage drops, then a modern unit will operate in the range of 200 – 240 watts. Otherwise, the refrigerator simply will not turn on.
- Damage to the power cord or plug. If the light inside the refrigerator compartment does not light up and the refrigerator does not turn on, then there is no mains voltage, or the cord, plug, or socket is damaged.
- The thermostat is out of order. To check if the thermostat is working, add the terminals from the wires connected to the thermostat and then connect them together. If the refrigerator works, the problem is with the thermostat. The thermostat is beyond repair and must be replaced.
- Malfunction with the defrost button. To check the operation of the button, you need to fold the wires that are connected to it and connect them together. If the refrigerator is working, you have found a malfunction that can be fixed by replacing the button.
- Malfunction of the relay (starting or protective). You can check the part with an ohmmeter. Each wire connected to the relay is checked in turn. If the relay is faulty, it needs to be replaced.
- The contacts in the electrical circuit are oxidized. The circuit is disassembled, and all detected oxidized contacts are cleaned. After that, the electrical circuit is assembled in reverse order.
- Compressor motor failure. Diagnosis involves checking all 3 motor contacts with an ohmmeter. If the resistance is less than 8 ohms, there is a short circuit between the coils of the stator winding, and the motor must be replaced.
Refrigerator hums loudly
Increased noise levels indicate problems such as:
- improperly installed refrigerator;
- compressor suspension damaged
Coping with the first problem will not be difficult. Initially, visually inspect whether household appliances are in contact with kitchen furniture, pipes, etc. You also need to determine the correct setting of the refrigerator: the case should be slightly tilted back. With the correct position of the case, the doors of the refrigerator, open at 45⁰, should close on their own.
As for the compressor suspension, here you can’t do it without the help of a specialist.
Refrigerator is leaking
The appearance of water on the bottom of the refrigerator indicates a clogged tube through which the melting water drains. The methods for cleaning the tube are individual for each refrigerator model. However, the procedure is not complicated but requires steady hands. Therefore, it is better to entrust this malfunction to a Kitchenaid refrigerator repair technician.
Other malfunctions of refrigerators
Consider other malfunctions that require refrigerator repair:
- There is no lighting inside the refrigerator compartment. This may indicate a lack of contact between the plug and the outlet, damage to the cord, a burnt-out lamp, or failure of the shutdown button. All malfunctions, except for a broken button, can be fixed independently. It is better to entrust the repair of the button to the master.
- The formation of a “fur coat” (a frozen layer of moisture) on the surface of the freezer. The cause of the icing of the chamber walls may be a leaky fit of the door or a breakdown of the thermostat. The chamber door does not fit well due to the rubber seal. The thermostat, in most cases, cannot be repaired but must be replaced.
- Turning off the refrigerator immediately after starting. The problem may be related to the start/protection relay or the compressor, which may break the winding or turn-to-turn short circuit. Thus, when the compressor is started, the start-up relay is activated, turning off the unit.
The likelihood of refrigerator malfunctions largely depends on the characteristics of the operation of household appliances. The service masters will promptly perform diagnostics and repairs, as well as give advice and recommendations on the correct operation of the equipment, which will allow you to avoid future refrigerator problems.